Manufacturing Quality Assurance Specialist
Grow our tomorrow. Celebrating over 160 years in business, we are one of North America’s top fresh produce sales and marketing companies. We bring over 100 varieties of produce from more than 20 different countries to the market. Recognized as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for the past 20 years and one of Canada’s (and BC’s) Top Employers, our business is managed by a team of dedicated professionals delivering exceptional service from over a dozen offices throughout North and South America. And, because a healthy planet is essential to our growers, customers, and all of us at Oppenheimer, sustainability plays a vital role in everything we do.
Recognized as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers and Canada’s Best Managed Companies (for the last 20 years!), our diverse team of dedicated professionals collaborate and make connections across our locations throughout North and South America. We owe our success to our adaptability, innovative and entrepreneurial approach, our commitment to our people, and the incredible relationships we build. We are looking for talented people who love a fast-paced, dynamic environment where you can grow your skills and career in a sector with abundant opportunity. Grow your tomorrow with us, today.
OPPORTUNITY ALERT! We are looking for a motivated individual with a keen attention to detail and an interest in learning about an exciting and dynamic industry. Get to know and interact with growers around the world as you help to bring produce to the North American market. Join a global team that is passionate about what they do in an industry that offers diverse opportunities.
The Manufacturing Quality Assurance Specialist conducts a variety of industry testing, ensuring quality and condition results are readily available for allocation. Ensures internal departments, customers and growers are educated on product specifications. Contributes to ensuring all facilities are maintained for optimal product storage and efficiency, builds and maintains effective working relationships with internal and external customers.
- Inspects both inbound and outbound products upon arrival at the designated location to ensure compliance with established industry standards, company policies, and procedures.
- Monitors the condition and quality of products in inventory, maintains good rotation practices. Records and documents temperature recordings in accordance with company standards and procedures.
- Assists in the selection of products for customer shipments, follows established quality standards and procedures to minimize shipment errors and maximize customer satisfaction.
- Investigates and resolves related problems in a timely manner. Liaises with internal and external contacts to collect relevant information. Escalates problems to the supervisor.
- Prepares and sends various condition reports to growers, categories and sales. Ensures product conditions are regularly communicated.
- Supports repack operations, ensures defective product is being graded out and final products meet quality standard.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships with warehouse employees, sales functions, commodity managers, and grower representatives.
- Inspects outbound shipments thoroughly to ensure proper product has been picked and quality standards are met.
- Works to minimize costs and maximize returns. Actively seeks to improve processes for increased efficiency and effectiveness.
Required Knowledge & Abilities
- Thorough understanding of relevant food safety systems.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Knowledge of product grade standards, methods, and techniques of produce inspection.
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong decision-making skills, including the ability to exercise independent judgment.
- Highly motivated and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, and professionally at all times.
- Ability to work in warehouse/cold storage environment.
- Ability to lift and move produce boxes to perform inspection process.
- Degree, diploma, or industry training in a related field is an asset.
- Minimum, 1 – 3 years of experience with quality assurance in a food production/manufacturing environment.
- USDA and/or CFIA training is an asset; HACCP and food safety certified is an asset.
Why Work for Oppy
- We are an established leader in the fresh produce industry, continuously working to improve, innovate and disrupt the norm. Oppy is a place where you are encouraged to contribute and can have a meaningful impact.
- We have an inclusive culture with terrific people that care about the business and each other. We want our people to grow and succeed.
- We offer a hybrid work model with a mix of in-office and at-home.
We extend our sincere appreciation for your interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.