Senior Corporate Accountant
Grow Our Tomorrow. Oppy is a leading grower, marketer and distributor of fresh produce and part of the world’s largest fresh produce companies, Dole plc. Delivering on over one billion in sales annually, Oppy brings over 100 varieties of produce from 27 countries to 1,300+ retailers in North America and throughout the world. As much as agriculture has shaped the past for humankind, Oppy’s efforts shape its future by sustainably providing families with healthy, safe and fresh produce to create a better quality of life for all. Our progressive team is called to a higher purpose that raises the economic wellbeing of families and communities who work the land.
Recognized as one Canada’s Best Managed Companies (for the last 20 years!) and a Top 100 Employer, our diverse team of dedicated professionals collaborate and make connections across our locations throughout North and South America. We owe our success to our adaptability, innovative and entrepreneurial approach, our commitment to our people, and the incredible relationships we build. We are looking for talented people who love a fast-paced, dynamic environment where you can grow your skills and career in a sector with abundant opportunity. Grow your tomorrow with us, today.
Are you a responsible and organized team player who is knowledgeable and adept in various reporting formats, has an incredible eye for detail, and a passion for mentoring others? Do you have proven track record of effective collaboration and a passion for continuous improvement? If so, The Oppenheimer Group (Oppy to our friends), has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Corporate Accountant. If you are accomplished at managing multiple deadlines and reporting concurrently and are a service-oriented, team player then come join a dedicated team of professionals with a role that offers a variety of accountabilities and project work.
What You Will Be Doing
A key member of the Corporate Accounting team, reporting to Corporate Accounting Manager, the Senior Corporate Accountant assists with preparing monthly financial reports including supporting schedules, statutory reporting and account analysis & reconciliations in a timely and accurate manner. Provides assistance and mentorship to junior accounting positions as needed and contributes alongside other team members on projects often focused on improving internal efficiency, strengthening internal controls and department effectiveness.
- Ensures financial statements are in compliance with established accounting practice, Sarbanes-Oxley (“SOX”), company policies and procedures.
- Responds to internal and external inquiries by providing a range of analysis services including variance, trend, issue identification and contract interpretation to enable better customer service and promote revenue generation.
- Assists with the accounting cycle and year-end reporting by conducting accounting analysis including revenue, expenses, and balance sheet accounts to ensure financial reports are free from material misstatement.
- Prepares balance sheet reconciliations, prepares journal entries and produces monthly departmental and company financial report packages with proper documentation and support in an accurate and timely manner.
- Reviews transaction postings for accuracy and correct treatment of foreign currency exchange.
- Prepares and develops multiple reports, schedules, and ad hoc analysis in accordance with determined deadlines, and procedures.
- Prepares for and contributes to monthly departmental financial review meetings and conducts related business analysis, ensuring all stakeholders are satisfied.
- Reviews financial statements and schedules from subsidiaries and provides feedback for areas of improvement.
- Supports the preparation of annual budgets and forecasts for operations business lines, as assigned.
- Completes relevant tax filings and accounting entries in accordance with established accounting principles, company transfer pricing policies and procedures, and legislative requirements.
- Participates in or leads financial accounting projects, proactively monitoring deliverables, communicating issues, and completing tasks in order to meet project requirements and established deadlines.
- Contributes to the design of accounting structure and procedures for any newly acquired entities.
- Supports the timely, efficient completion of external and internal audits throughout the year.
- Supports other accounting team members with training and development, proactively contributing to building bench strength and knowledge within the department.
- Promotes a customer-focused, service-oriented culture in alignment with the company’s core values.
- Organizes, performs, and supports other business projects and initiatives as needed.
Who You Are
- Possess knowledge and experience with Accounting Standards for Private Enterprises (ASPE).
- Have advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel (data list management), working knowledge of Word and Outlook.
- Possess strong analytical skills with an ability to problem solve and make appropriate accounting recommendations and decisions.
- Have experience with corporate tax provision accounting under ASPE. Tax compliance experience including tax return preparation and instalment calculations is an asset.
- Possess exceptional interpersonal, communication (written & verbal) and customer service skills; ability to work effectively with multiple departments and forge strong relationships within the corporate accounting team and with all other stakeholders.
- Can work independently and act with integrity and professionalism to protect confidential information and adhere to and help develop company standards and control procedures.
- Maintain strong organization and time management skills; ability to prioritize multiple demands in a timely manner.
- Self-motivated with high standards/attention to detail; ability to set priorities and work accurately within tight deadlines in a team-oriented, fast-paced environment.
- Maintain a collaborative approach and enjoy coaching and/or training junior team members to consistently build team knowledge and skill.
- Possess a positive and engaging attitude, with a commitment to fostering an inclusive, supportive, and fun working environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business or related field or a combination of equivalent education and experience.
- Minimum, 5+ years of proven and successful accounting experience, preferably with financial statement preparation, statutory reporting and account reconciliations.
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation is highly preferred.
- Previous experience in public practice considered an asset.
Why Work for Oppy
- We are an established leader in the fresh produce industry, continuously working to improve, innovate and disrupt the norm. Oppy is a place where you are encouraged to contribute and can have a meaningful impact.
- We have a strong culture with terrific people that care about the business and each other. We want our people to grow and succeed.
- We offer a hybrid work model with a mix of in-office and at-home.
- A competitive total compensation package that includes a full benefits package, lifestyle spending account, continuing educational support and company contributions to pension plan.
If you are interested in exploring this opportunity further, please visit us at www.oppy.com. To apply kindly email your cover letter and resume in one document to [email protected]
We extend our sincere appreciation for your interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.