Grow Our Tomorrow. Oppy is a leading grower, marketer and distributor of fresh produce from around the world. As one of North America’s top produce companies for nearly 165 years, we bring over 100 varieties of produce from 27 countries to 1,300+ retailers in North America and throughout the world. As much as agriculture has shaped the past for humankind, Oppy’s efforts shape its future by sustainably providing families with healthy, safe and fresh produce to create a better quality of life for all. Our progressive team is called to a higher purpose that raises the economic wellbeing of families and communities who work the land.
Recognized as one Canada’s Best Managed Companies (for the last 20 years!) and a Top 100 Employer, our diverse team of dedicated professionals collaborate and make connections across our locations throughout North and South America. We owe our success to our adaptability, innovative and entrepreneurial approach, our commitment to our people, and the incredible relationships we build. We are looking for talented people who love a fast-paced, dynamic environment where you can grow your skills and career in a sector with abundant opportunity. Grow your tomorrow with us, today.
Reporting to the Sales Manager, the Sales Assistant plays a pivotal role in supporting the department’s activities and contributing to the overall success of the company. Provides key assistance in developing and executing sales strategies and presentations, performing order and inventory management and administrative processes, and providing customer service excellence through professional and courteous communication with internal and external stakeholders, actively identifying customer needs and proposing solutions. Collaborates with various departments, ensuring seamless coordination of sales processes, from shipping and pricing to accounting and marketing. Stays informed of industry trends, sales tools, and technologies, and contributes to identifying sales opportunities and generating accurate reports for analysis. Upholds the company’s core values and promotes a customer-focused, cooperative, and team-oriented culture. Embraces opportunities for professional growth and skill development, staying abreast of sales techniques and best practices. In times of absences or as assigned, the Sales Assistant may assume additional responsibilities related to key accounts, deals, or categories.
- Assists the sales department in conducting various activities, including planning for sales strategies and presentations, order entry and administration processes, and inventory management.
- Completes sales-related paperwork including order entries, invoicing and final pricing, and customs/border paperwork and trouble files in a timely and correct manner.
- Answers incoming calls in a professional and courteous manner, providing excellent customer service to all internal and external stakeholders; proactively identifies customer needs and propose solutions to meet or exceed their expectations.
- Assists in providing sales support to existing customers, solicits new customers, and delivers sales presentations as required; may sell company products and services in accordance with established sales targets, once proficient in core business knowledge.
- Assists in identifying industry trends and recognizes sales opportunities by being aware of sales and marketing strategies, plans, and programs available.
- Utilize sales tools and technologies to streamline sales processes, enhance productivity, and generate accurate reports for sales analysis and performance tracking.
- Communicates and collaborates effectively with internal departments to expedite and resolve all aspects of sales including shipping, pricing, accounting/billing, and marketing needs in a timely manner.
- Liaises with quality control, inventory control, transportation, and operations staff to stay informed about company products, related services, and applicable standards and procedures.
- Promotes a customer-focused, cooperative, and team-oriented culture in alignment with the company’s core values; acts as a brand ambassador, fostering a positive reputation for Oppy and associated brands.
- Continuously seek opportunities for professional growth and skill development, actively participating in training programs and staying abreast of sales techniques and best practices.
- May temporarily assume the responsibilities of a Sales Representative or other duties related to key accounts, deals, or categories during times of absences or as assigned.
Required Knowledge & Abilities
- Strong understanding of the principles and methods for promoting and selling products and services, including sales techniques, customer relationship management, and administrative processes.
- Knowledge of the produce retail, wholesale, and foodservice markets, as well as industry trends, concepts, and standards is an asset.
- Knowledge of the Perishable Agriculture Commodities Act (PACA) and its regulations to ensure compliance with all applicable laws is an asset.
- Knowledge of MS Applications including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook to manage sales data, presentations, and communications.
- Highly developed written and oral communication skills, including active listening and effective communication of information and ideas through a variety of mediums to diverse audiences.
- Proven ability to build and maintain effective internal and external working relationships with customers, suppliers, and colleagues. Strong desire to exceed customer expectations and promote a customer-focused culture in alignment with the company’s core values, guiding principles, and goals.
- Excellent time management and multi-tasking skills, with the ability to set priorities and meet target goals in a fast-paced sales environment.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, remain calm in challenging situations, and make sound decisions to resolve issues.
- Demonstrable integrity and trust in all activities, with the ability to work with a sense of urgency and confidentiality.
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to identify, analyze, and resolve issues using sound judgment and creative thinking.
- Willingness to travel as needed to build and maintain customer relationships and meet sales goals.
- Degree, diploma in business with a focus on sales and marketing; specific training in agribusiness or related industry courses is an asset.
- Minimum, 1 – 3 years of relevant sales experience, including administrative, customer service and sales processes.
Why Join The Team?
- We are an established leader in the fresh produce industry, continuously working to improve, innovate and disrupt the norm. Oppy is a place where you are encouraged to contribute and can have a meaningful impact.
- We have a strong culture with terrific people that care about the business and each other. We want our people to grow and succeed.
- We support your professional development and health with educational reimbursement and wellness programs.
- We offer a hybrid work model with a mix of in-office and at-home work arrangements.
- We offer a competitive total compensation package that includes 401K match, competitive benefits, profit share and more!
We extend our sincere appreciation for your interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.