Quality Control Supervisor
Grow Our Tomorrow. Oppy is a leading grower, marketer and distributor of fresh produce from around the world. As one of North America’s top produce companies for nearly 165 years, we bring over 100 varieties of produce from 27 countries to 1,300+ retailers in North America and throughout the world. As much as agriculture has shaped the past for humankind, Oppy’s efforts shape its future by sustainably providing families with healthy, safe and fresh produce to create a better quality of life for all. Our progressive team is called to a higher purpose that raises the economic wellbeing of families and communities who work the land.
Recognized as one Canada’s Best Managed Companies (for the last 20 years!) and a Top 100 Employer, our diverse team of dedicated professionals collaborate and make connections across our locations throughout North and South America. We owe our success to our adaptability, innovative and entrepreneurial approach, our commitment to our people, and the incredible relationships we build. We are looking for talented people who love a fast-paced, dynamic environment where you can grow your skills and career in a sector with abundant opportunity. Grow your tomorrow with us, today.
The Quality Control Supervisor monitors, leads and optimizes the quality control function of a designated region by coordinating inspections, allocations, repacking processes and product reconditioning. Works collaboratively to support the Quality Control Manager to proactively communicate with internal and external stakeholders, ensuring stakeholders receive level of customer service. Maintains positive and effective working relationships in an ever changing, dynamic environment.
Important: This position will be relocated to Oceanside, California for 3-4 months annually.
What You Will Be Doing
- Supports the management of the day-to-day quality control operations in accordance with company standards. Manages damaged products, works to minimize costs and maximize returns.
- Supports the Quality Control Manager in the coordination of daily tasks and responsibilities of all inspectors. Ensures accurate time recording and task/project completion.
- Manages customer orders prior to shipping. Follows established standards and procedures to minimize shipment errors and maximize customer satisfaction.
- Manages information within Optimo, ensuring the accuracy of reports and updating customer accounts in a timely and accurate manner. Produces reports in accordance with deadlines and established policies and procedures.
- Collaborates with government inspectors to ensure that all CFIA regulations are met and followed.
- Liaises with quality control, operations, and sales teams to ensure orders meet customers’ requests and to mitigate and resolve issues for quick and effective resolution.
- Assists the sales team with order delivery, and the management of major retail accounts. Ensures efficient and timely communication is maintained between departments.
- Prepares for shipment arrivals and participates in slotting activities in accordance with established procedures.
- May assist various departments in activities including event planning, providing customer samples, and preparing for external customer visits.
- Promotes and provides for a positive and cooperative working environment.
- Oceanside: Collaborate with packing manager, shipping office and sales to assure the right product is packed to maximize costumer satisfaction.
- Oceanside: Manages customer orders prior to shipping. Follows established standards and procedures to minimize shipment errors and maximize customer satisfaction.
- Oceanside: Support in the special pack program to assure the best product is used for special customers.
Required Knowledge & Abilities
- Thorough understanding of relevant food safety systems such as HACCP, ISO, and BRC management systems.
- Knowledge of product grade standards, methods, and techniques of produce inspection.
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills; ability to communicate effectively.
- Effective organization and time management skills; ability to prioritize multiple demands and work within tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills; operates with a solutions-oriented mindset.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective stakeholder relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Affinity and aptitude for effectively training and mentoring others.
- Ability to work in cold temperatures and warehouse and product storage environments.
- Ability to travel to other warehouses for purchases, inspections and/or support and coordination of packing tasks.
- Ability to be on-call and to occasionally work weekends and/or holidays.
- Ability to temporarily relocate to Oceanside, California for 3-4 months annually.
- Degree, diploma, or related training in agri-business with a focus in supply chain management or agricultural sciences; previous supervisory or management experience preferred.
- Minimum, 4-years’ related work experience in quality control; produce industry knowledge considered an asset.
- First aid and/or food safety training is an asset.
- We are the perfect size of organization that is still nimble but yet organized, where meaningful impact and contributions happen.
- We have a strong culture with terrific people that care about the business and each other. We want our people to grow and succeed.
- We believe in you bringing your best true self and your best ideas, because diverse perspectives contribute to better problem solving and solutions in a dynamic and ever evolving industry.
- We support your professional development and health with educational reimbursement and wellness programs.
- We offer a comprehensive total compensation package that includes health, dental & vision coverage, 401k match, tuition reimbursement and benefits.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.