Payroll Coordinator – Part Time/ Contract
Grow a better tomorrow. As one of North America’s top fresh produce companies, we bring over 100 varieties of produce from more than 20 different countries to the market. Our business is managed by a team of dedicated professionals delivering exceptional service from over a dozen offices throughout North and South America. And because a healthy planet is essential to our growers, customers, and all of us at Oppenheimer, sustainability plays a vital role in everything we do.
FLEXIBLE PART-TIME OPPORTUNITY! This is a terrific 16-month contract opportunity to join a dynamic team in a part-time flexible role. This role is primarily remote at this time. We are looking for someone approximately 15-20 hours per week to act as a payroll backup and support the Manager, Payroll & Benefits in a variety of tasks and projects related to USA and Canadian payroll administration. Enjoy work life balance, while contributing to a positive and dedicated team of professionals.
As a Payroll Coordinator, under the general supervision of the Manager, Payroll & Benefits, you will assist with the administration, processing and reporting of multi-province & state USA and Canadian payroll, pension and benefits in accordance with applicable legislation, standards and practices. This role requires prior knowledge and understanding of USA payroll standards and methodology and the ability to research, learn and apply best-practice payroll methodology and controls.
- Assists with the calculation and input of payroll entries; administers per diems, allowances, ROE’s, and other payroll related documents as required.
- Maintains solid controls to ensure SOX compliance and backup, ensuring all entries balance and documentation available for audit.
- Prepares semi-monthly, weekly and monthly payroll financial entries as well as any related reports.
- Reviews timecards for accuracy and proper approvals. Uses knowledge of USA and Canadian time and hour requirements to code correct payments. Checks for entry errors and follows up with managers to resolve data discrepancies.
- Prepares reports and analysis for senior management; responds to queries in accordance with departmental guidelines.
- Conducts reconciliations and audits to ensure records and costs are correct and in line.
- Acts as a full-cycle payroll backup as required to cover primary payroll absences.
- Responds to internal and external payroll inquiries, maintaining a high level of customer service, in line with company culture and expectations.
- Assists with payroll related audits; carefully securing data as per internal guidelines.
- Assists with year-end functions including reconciliations, summary data information and preparation for year-end tax statements.
- Acts as a backup for administering US and Canadian benefits as it relates to the payroll function.
- Assists with ensuring the payroll function is in compliance with all jurisdictional legislation.
- Prepares process documentation for training and SOX compliance.
Required Knowledge & Abilities
- Highly developed interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
- Ability to protect and maintain the confidentiality and security of sensitive information; demonstrates good judgement and critical thinking.
- Analytical and detail-oriented with a meticulous commitment to accuracy; can understand and anticipate multiple impacts of information changes.
- Ability to function independently by using personal initiative to identify and resolve issues while maintaining clear documentation and communication of all actions taken.
- Team-oriented with a proven ability to contribute positively to a positive team environment.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications; advanced Excel skills.
- Cross-boundary payroll administration experience; USA or Canadian payroll designation an asset.
- Degree or diploma in payroll or accounting or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
We thank all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.