Grow Our Tomorrow. Oppy is a leading grower, marketer and distributor of fresh produce from around the world. As one of North America’s top produce companies for nearly 165 years, we bring over 100 varieties of produce from 27 countries to 1,300+ retailers in North America and throughout the world. As much as agriculture has shaped the past for humankind, Oppy’s efforts shape its future by sustainably providing families with healthy, safe and fresh produce to create a better quality of life for all. Our progressive team is called to a higher purpose that raises the economic wellbeing of families and communities who work the land.
Recognized as one Canada’s Best Managed Companies (for the last 20 years!) and a Top 100 Employer, our diverse team of dedicated professionals collaborate and make connections across our locations throughout North and South America. We owe our success to our adaptability, innovative and entrepreneurial approach, our commitment to our people, and the incredible relationships we build. We are looking for talented people who love a fast-paced, dynamic environment where you can grow your skills and career in a sector with abundant opportunity. Grow your tomorrow with us, today.
We are looking for an Operations Assistant to join an energetic team of professionals in a role that offers variety and challenge in a fast-paced and dynamic industry. You will effectively coordinate the timely and accurate processing of documentation required to transport imported and domestic perishable products across North America. Reporting into the Supervisor, East Coast Operations, your remarkable organization skills will be high in use as you facilitate the movement of products from seaports and other distribution points to cold storages and/or to customers. Your great attention to detail will help ensure that all release requirements and processes are met to avoid delays and interruptions to the supply chain.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Facilitate the movement of perishable products from port to storage facilities across North America in a timely and accurate fashion. Seek to contain costs and improve current processes.
- Coordinate port activities to facilitate the transfer of products from discharge/arrival locations to storage/customers in the most time effective and economic manner. Monitor product delivery to confirm receipt.
- Assist internal customers with sales, inventory, and finance reconciliations. Promote a high level of customer service with both internal and external customers.
- Manage communication and relationships with port and cold storage operators, transport companies, and internal staff to coordinate all daily activities in a timely manner. May negotiate port to storage freight rates.
- Oversee the compliance of all cold storage requirements and government regulations. Monitor market-based cost controls, and assists with operational budgets.
- Coordinate marine cargo claims including proforma filings, survey scheduling, supporting documents and claim product traceability. Ensure all documents are in place and follows up with all parties to ensure timely and successful claim filing.
- Maintain an organized and accurate record of import documents including, vessel summaries, shipping reconciliations, temperature records, invoices, and freight charges.
- May cover Eastern Canada container port arrivals with associated processes/paperwork.
- Perform other related support activities as required.
Who You Are:
- Knowledgeable. You have a thorough understanding of the concepts, methods, standards, and practices of shipping, receiving and distributing goods. You are familiar with the import/export government regulations and related procedures; knowledge of North-East Port procedures is an asset.
- Communication Champion. You have strong communication skills both written and verbal with the ability to be focused and clear while establishing and maintaining effective business relationships.
- Incredibly Organized. You can work independently, make appropriate decisions and liaise with numerous parties, leaving them impressed with your follow up and attention to detail. Ability manage time appropriately and prioritize multiple demands in a timely manner.
- Results-Focused. You operate with a solutions-oriented mindset. You have passion and desire to make a difference and tenacity to dig in, figure it out and keep trying until you get results.
- Proactive. Not one to sit and wait, you proactively and systematically work to improve your skills and learn the business. Resourcefulness and tenacity are in your DNA.
- Resilient. You remain positive and poised in all situations, you understand that the world is a dynamic place. Multi-tasking comes naturally and you find keeping busy invigorating. Overcoming obstacles is your forte.
- A Team Player. You have been recognized as a go-to person; bridging and building positive relationships with a diverse range of people and experience levels.
- You have intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Applications; Excel, Word and Outlook. Knowledge of basic business math and accounting practices is an asset.
- Experienced. You ideally have minimum, 2 – 5 years’ experience in port to storage management/coordination preferred.
- Schooled. Degree, diploma in supply chain, logistics, or related industry preferred; training in agri-business is an asset.
- Flexible. You are willing to do what it takes to get the job done; weekend/evening or holiday work does not faze you. Occasional travel within area does not deter you.
- We are the perfect size of organization that is still nimble but yet organized; where meaningful impact and contributions happen;
- We have a strong culture with terrific people that care about the business and each other. We want our people to grow and succeed;
- We believe in you bringing your best true self and your best ideas, because diverse perspectives contribute to better problem solving and solutions in a dynamic and ever evolving industry.
- We support your professional development and health with educational reimbursement and wellness programs;
- We offer a comprehensive total compensation package that includes health, dental & vision coverage, 401k match, tuition reimbursement and benefits.
Find out more about us: www.oppy.com