Grower Accountant II
Grow our tomorrow. Celebrating over 165 years in business, we are one of North America’s top fresh produce sales and marketing companies. We bring over 100 varieties of produce from more than 20 different countries to the market. Recognized as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for the past 20 years and one of Canada’s (and BC’s) Top Employers, our business is managed by a team of dedicated professionals delivering exceptional service from over a dozen offices throughout North and South America. And, because a healthy planet is essential to our growers, customers, and all of us at Oppenheimer, sustainability plays a vital role in everything we do.
Recognized as a Top 100 Employer and Canada’s Best Managed Companies (for the last 20 years!), our diverse team of dedicated professionals collaborate and make connections across our locations throughout North and South America. We owe our success to our adaptability, innovative and entrepreneurial approach, our commitment to our people, and the incredible relationships we build. We are looking for talented people who love a fast-paced, dynamic environment where you can grow your skills and career in a sector with abundant opportunity. Grow your tomorrow with us, today.
Reporting to the Team Lead, Grower Accounting, the Accountant II (known internally as “Grower Accountant II”) plays a pivotal role in our team, with a strong emphasis on fostering a supportive and growth-oriented environment. This role is not only responsible for preparing periodic grower operational financial information and reports for internal users and grower clients but also takes great joy in training and mentoring junior team members. They understand the importance of nurturing the next generation of accounting professionals and actively seeks opportunities to guide and develop their skills. In addition to providing operational accounting support to growers and internal and external customers, the Grower Accountant II is committed to personal and professional growth. They aspire to advance within the organization, aiming for opportunities that allows them to contribute even more significantly to our team’s success. Within our fast-paced, ever-changing environment, the Grower Accountant II actively collaborates with colleagues to achieve department goals and objectives. They also drive the ongoing refinement of processes and procedures, ensuring efficiency and effectiveness in all accounting operations. As a key player in our team, they bring not only expertise but also a genuine passion for mentoring, learning, and advancing in their career.
- Prepares timely and accurate Grower settlements following established policy and procedures, including research of costs and sales related issues. Provides backup support on settlement review and approvals in absence of Team Lead, Grower Accounting.
- Performs payment analysis and preparation of wire amounts for backup and submission; conducts review and approval of wire payments for grower clients.
- Completes weekly and monthly accounting entries as they relate to business units, and ensures corporate requirements are met through approval and back up.
- Assists with reconciliation of lots and accounts and preparation for deal archive.
- Reviews and posts final statement of account into company system (Optimo) and Grower portal within pre-determined deadlines.
- Assists in compiling accounting information and data on sales and expenses, analyzing results and generating reports according to department and company standards and procedures.
- Adheres to company and department systems and protocols including documentation and reporting.
- Investigates and resolves account issues in a timely manner. Escalates complex financial discrepancies or disputes to Team Lead, Grower Accounting for investigation and resolution.
- Supports leadership in meeting financial reporting deadlines and department objectives.
- Supports other team members with training and development, proactively contributing to building bench strength and knowledge within the department.
- Promotes a customer-focused, service-oriented culture in alignment with the company’s core values.
- Performs additional ad hoc duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge & Abilities
- Working knowledge of basic accounting principles and practices.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel (e.g., pivot tables, VLOOKUP), working knowledge of Word and Outlook.
- Knowledge of USDA regulations and other produce-related industry regulations and standards in both Canada and the US is an asset.
- Strong analytical skills with an ability to problem solve and make appropriate accounting recommendations and decisions.
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication (written & verbal) and customer service skills; ability to work effectively with multiple departments and forge strong relationships within the grower accounting team and with all other stakeholders.
- Proven ability in exercising good judgement and critical thinking skills; demonstrates a high level of integrity, ethics, and professionalism at all times.
- Strong organization and time management skills; ability to prioritize multiple demands in a timely manner.
- Self-motivated with high standards/attention to detail; ability to set priorities and work accurately within tight deadlines in a team-oriented, fast-paced environment.
- Maintains a collaborative approach and enjoys coaching and/or training junior team members to consistently build team knowledge and skill.
- Positive and engaging attitude, with a commitment to fostering an inclusive, supportive, and fun working environment.
- Degree, diploma in Finance, Accounting, Business or related field or a combination of equivalent education and experience.
- Minimum, 2 – 4 years’ experience in an accounting environment.
Why Work for Oppy?
- We are an established leader in the fresh produce industry, continuously working to improve, innovate and disrupt the norm. Oppy is a place where you are encouraged to contribute and can have a meaningful impact.
- We have a strong culture with terrific people that care about the business and each other. We want our people to grow and succeed.
- We offer a hybrid work model with a mix of in-office and at-home work arrangements.
- We offer a comprehensive total compensation package that includes health, dental & vision coverage, 401k match, tuition reimbursement and more!
We extend our sincere appreciation for your interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.