Who We Are
Bringing fresh global produce home. Celebrating over 160 years in business, we are one of North America’s top fresh produce sales and marketing companies. We bring over 100 varieties of produce from more than 20 different countries to the market. Recognized as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for the past 18 years and one of BC’s Top Employers, our business is managed by a team of dedicated professionals delivering exceptional service from over a dozen offices throughout North and South America. And, because a healthy planet is essential to our growers, customers, and all of us at Oppenheimer, sustainability plays a vital role in everything we do.
Who You Are
We are looking for someone to join our fast growing Accounting division. Join a team that is passionate about what they do and poised for significant growth. This is an amazing chance to join a stable, successful company that offers opportunities for career development – come to work where can make a difference!
We are looking for a Grower Accountant to join an energetic team of accounting professionals in a role that offers variety and challenge in a fast-paced and dynamic industry. Reporting to the Manager, Grower Financial Operations, you will be responsible for preparing periodic grower operational & financial information for internal users and our growers, ensuring timely and accurate settlement of grower accounts. The role offers great opportunity to work with various functions within the organization as well as our growers. You will support accounting and finance objectives, while continuously working towards improving processes and procedures in a fast-paced, ever changing environment.
What You Will Do
- Prepare grower settlements in a timely manner in line with policy and procedures and grower contracts.
- Prepare and reconcile operational financial information for growers within agreed deadlines; conduct related business / grower analysis.
- Complete weekly and monthly accounting entries as they relate to each assigned grower.
- Assist in compiling accounting information and data on sales and expenses, analyze results and produce reports for growers and internal customers.
- Support and follow company and department systems and protocols including documentation and reporting.
- Assist with reconciling grower accounts and preparing for season end financial data archiving.
- Investigate and resolve account issues in a proactive, timely manner. Identify procedural issues and provide recommendations for improvement.
- Timely escalate complex problems to senior staff.
What You Bring
- Experienced. You ideally have minimum, 1 – 3 years’ experience in an accounting environment and an excellent understanding of accounting best practices. Prior knowledge of produce industry regulations and standards in Canada and/or the US would be an asset.
- Schooled. Your degree or diploma in business with a focus in accounting and finance will give you a foundation to build your experience.
- Proactive. Not one to sit and wait, you proactively and systematically work to improve your skills and learn the business. Resourcefulness and tenacity are in your DNA.
- Incredibly Organized. You can work independently, make appropriate decisions and liaise with numerous parties, leaving them impressed with your follow up and attention to detail.
- A Team Player. You have been recognized as a go-to person; bridging and building positive relationships with customers, growers and across departments. You demonstrate interest in training others.
- Composed. You remain positive and poised in all situations, not much rattles you. Multi-tasking comes naturally and you find keeping busy invigorating.
- Tech Savvy. You know your way around Excel, computer accounting systems and take to new programs quickly.
Why You Should Consider Us
- We are an established leader in the fresh produce industry, continuously working to improve, innovate and disrupt the norm. Oppy is a place where you are encouraged to contribute and can have a meaningful impact.
- We have a strong culture with terrific people that care about the business and each other. We want our people to grow and succeed.
- We support your professional development and health with educational reimbursement and wellness programs.
- We offer a competitive total compensation package that includes pension and benefits.
We thank all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.