Category Financial Analyst
Who We Are
Bringing fresh global produce home. Celebrating over 160 years in business, we are one of North America’s top fresh produce sales and marketing companies. We bring over 100 varieties of produce from more than 20 different countries to the market. Recognized as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for the past 18 years and one of BC’s Top Employers, our business is managed by a team of dedicated professionals delivering exceptional service from over a dozen offices throughout North and South America. And, because a healthy planet is essential to our growers, customers, and all of us at Oppenheimer, sustainability plays a vital role in everything we do.
Who You Are
Reporting to the Manager, Grower Financial Operations, the Category Financial Analyst provides business-critical support to their assigned produce categories; grounded in analytics and sound financial decision making, they assist the Category Director in both financial and market analysis. The role will liaise with various stakeholders to monitor all financial aspects of the category as well as develop market reports that provide insight, foster constructive dialogue and enable effective management.
What You Will Do
- Provides grower risk analysis and category financial management including proactive analysis, review and recommendation of initial advance requests, monthly mid-season updates, and end of season retrospectives.
- Assists the Category Director with drafting the monthly management committee meeting report including sales and expense variance analysis relative to forecast, plan and/or prior year and developing season forecasts/projections as required.
- Makes proactive, informed recommendations to mitigate business risk while appropriately maintaining grower relations and supporting profitable business growth by retaining and expanding grower produce volumes.
- Provides mid-season ‘what if’/ sensitivity analyses on the projected end of season positions with each grower detailing profitability and net grower return.
- Assists the Category Director in setting up reasonable, risk mitigating grower settlement pricing programs. Ensures final balances owed are returned to the grower at season end; provides general ledger coding for the grower accounting team.
- Analyzes and reviews for reasonableness grower expenses (market-based costs) used in cash flows, costing models or grower claims.
- Supports the Category Director on developing the annual business plan for the category and assists with monitoring ongoing performance relative to plan so proactive steps can be taken to mitigate risks and realize opportunities.
- Prepares cash flow and forecasting updates according to departmental guidelines in a timely manner.
- Develops category market analysis reports, drawing upon internal data sources.
- Prepares various forecasting models for assigned categories as part of pre-season analysis including commodity sales, customer special program sales and crop forecasts.
- Provides timely reports on specific grower issues/concerns enabling clear communication and understanding that is grounded in analytics.
- Performs post season analysis for assigned categories including retail performance, distribution and aged inventory.
- Promotes a customer-focused, service-oriented culture in alignment with the company’s core values.
- Conducts other business analysis and participates in various financial projects as assigned.
- Collaborates with category team and other departments to create costing models, program pricing and relevant market report for program sales bids. Establishes consistency of services and reporting to the category program leaders.
What You Will Bring
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication and customer service skills; ability to work effectively with multiple departments and forge strong relationships with all stakeholders.
- Affinity and aptitude for strong financial/business analysis, and risk management.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced business environment, juggling multiple tasks, projects and deadlines.
- Proven ability to clearly and concisely communicate complex analytical data to a wide audience.
- Proven self-starter with an entrepreneurial, proactive approach to job tasks.
- Strong attention to detail and a commitment to accuracy.
- Advanced application skills including Excel (pivot tables, VLOOKUP, etc.), Word and Outlook, Access DB and Cognos.
What You Have
- Degree or diploma in finance, accounting, business or related field or a combination of equivalent education and experience.
- Minimum, 2-years’ related experience in financial and/or business-related analysis.
- Minimum, 2-years’ proven accounting experience including cash flows, forecasting and actualizing financial statements.
- CPA designation or working towards a designation an asset.
We thank all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.